August 7, 2012

Less about me and more about You.

Read this verse.

You ask for something but do not get it because you ask for it for the wrong reason-for your own pleasure.

 -James 4:3

Ok, read it again.

You ask for something but do not get it because you ask for it for the wrong reason-for your own pleasure. 
-James 4:3

Go ahead, one more time...

You ask for something but do not get it because you ask for it for the wrong reason-for your own pleasure. 
-James 4:3


You ask... Me. I beg God and plead with God.


For something... Silly things, foolish things, things that DO NOT matter!


But do not get it... And I am usually upset. Usually super bummed that things didn't turn out MY way.


Because you ask for it for the wrong reason... Do I even realize it is for the wrong reasons?


For your own pleasure... For me. I get so caught up in ME, and MY husband, and MY house, and MY family, and MY things and MY world that no wonder God wouldn't answer my prayers.

If I was completely honest with myself, the verse could read something like this...
"Evan, YOU ask for all kinds of things but do not get it, becuase YOU ask for things for totally wrong reasons- for YOUR own joy and YOUR own gratification."

That is some serious conviction right there. How many times have I spoken prayers that were completely consumed with ME? I'm sitting there, praying to the creator of the universe, the one who has put breathe in my lungs for the past 21 years and is currently doing so and all I can talk about is MYSELF.

Daily Lord, make my life less about me and more about You. Cleanse me of the ways of the world and fill me to the rim with yourself and your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment