April 19, 2013

"A Place of Grace"

So as I posted before, I did my observation hours for SW 222 class at The Clay House Children's Advocacy Center in Bessemer. I absolutely love it there and am really hoping that I will be able to continue working there with whatever needs they may have or anything I could help with really! Like I said, I really LOVE it up there!

I chose the Clay House but some friends of mine, Amanda Jewell and Christa Mojica, chose The WellHouse. Most of my GLBC people are pretty familiar with The WellHouse because they were at the Missions Conference we had a couple of weeks ago but if you are not familiar with it, you are missing out!

The WellHouse is a faith-based and Christ-centered nonprofit organization offering immediate shelter and transitional housing to women who have been trafficked, are prostituting, or otherwise sexually exploited. Yes, you read that correctly. There are women within this country, ALOT of women actually, who are trafficked-- right under our noses. I-20, where most of our homes are within a 10 minute or less drive to, is considered to be the Sexual Slavery Superhighway! Flying J has even been a hot-spot where trafficking has taken place! Trafficking isn't something that happens in these way far away countries y'all, it is happening right here, in our cities and in our towns.

This organization goes to all lengths to rescue women that desire to be rescued, no matter where they are within the country and because of that, they are virtually on stand-by 24/7 just waiting on someone to call and need The WellHouse to come get them. And it is important to understand that no woman is ever turned away, ever.

I say all of this to say...

With this SW 222 class, not only do we have to complete a set number of observation hours but we also must complete a service learning project with the organization. I did the fundraiser for The Clay House, "The Cut-Off Cares" and so my friends have decided that they are going to do a Benefit Dinner and Auction honoring The WellHouse. The dinner is being donated by Bob Sykes,  the venue is being donated by Hopewell Church of God of Prophecy, and the auction items are all being donated so EVERY dime that goes towards this event will go directly to The WellHouse and their mission to rescue women from human trafficking.

I would like to encourage you to come, if you can and if not, if you have something that you would like to donate for auction or you would like to make a monetary donation, I know that Amanda and Christa would appreciate it so much!  Just as I was so passionate about The Clay House, they are equally as passionate about The WellHouse and are so excited about the potential they have to make a difference for maybe just one girl!

For me, I know that I do not have the capability to hop in my car or hop on a plan and go rescue someone from a life of human trafficking or prostitution but there are small things that I can do to help! Of course, I have bought tickets for Jade and I to attend the dinner but another way I have been able to help is to donate a free one hour photo session to be auctioned off. Even if the thing only brings $10, that is $10 that they did not have before and $10 worth of gas that could assist in rescuing these women. I promise, any idea, gift or even service that you know of or have would be so helpful and very much appreciated! These women deserve to be able to live their life without being forced to do things that they do not want to do.

So here are all the details...

The dinner is May 4th at 6:00 at Hopewell COGOP and the tickets to this event are $15.00- THAT'S it! Go ahead and mark your calendars!

Amanda and Christa are encouraging people to go ahead and buy the tickets that way they will have a head count. If you would like to buy a ticket, let me know and I can get with them and get you a ticket. There is only room for about 150, so hurry and get your tickets while they are available!

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment