April 3, 2013

"The Cut-Off Cares"

As many of you may or may not know, I am a social work major at UAB. After changing my major three times (possibly more but I'm sticking with three), I have finally found the path that I feel I am suppose to be on. There is something just different about it and I'm super excited to FINALLY be on track. (just a year behind but better late than never, Right?)

One of the classes that I am taking this semester is like a values class and with it, I have been required to volunteer and do observation hours at an agency. Long story short, I found a place about 10 minutes from my house called The Clay House Children's Advocacy Center in Bessemer!

The Clay House is one of Bessemer's most beautiful historical homes that is designed to be just that-- "homelike"to all the clientele that walk through the door. As soon as you walk in the door, toys are everywhere, the walls and artwork are super colorful and it really feels like you are walking into a big playhouse or something. This is a place where child victims of physical or sexual abuse visit to receive intervention and treatment from highly experienced and trained staff.

The Clay House and staff work together with the District Attorney's office, DHR, Law Enforcement and medical professional services to check out ALL cases of suspected abuse and to see whether or not prosecution is the next step. Basically, they go above and beyond what most people think and do a good job at it. Can you tell I have became pretty bias towards them? :)

I have been volunteering/observing there for about a month and a half and I have learned so much about the procedures and systematic way things are done when it comes to the hard issue of abuse. And guess what, it costs the victim and their family absolutely NOTHING to receive these services.

One of the major things that I have been doing while being at The Clay House is working with the assistant director on the huge fundraiser that is coming up this weekend to raise awareness of child abuse prevention and get our name out there. Unfortunately, not alot of people know that The Clay House even exsists, until we are needed. I hope that no one reading this blog has to experience physical or sexual abuse first hand or has a child that has to experience that but if you ever do, we are who you go to and you need to know we are here!

This Saturday, April 6th we are having a fundraiser called "The Cut-Off Cares" which includes the following events:

"Crusin' for the Cut-Off": 2nd Annual Charity Motorcycle Ride
  • Registration starts at 8:00
    • $25 per Person
    • $35 per Person with Rider
  • Kick Stands Up at 8:30
  • Ride with end up back at the Park

"Crusade for the Cut-Off": Free Charity Walk
  • Registation starts at 10:00
    • Walkers with $25 worth of sponsorships will get a t-shirt and door prize ticket
  • Walk starts at 10:30 at the Historical  DeBardeleben Park (Right in the middle of Bessemer)
"Combined Campaign" : Signing of Proclamation
  • Local Mayors from the Cut-Off will be signing our proclamation recognizing April as Child Abuse Prevention Month
"Concert for the Cut-Off"
  • Legendary Gip Gibson and several other musicians will put on a FREE concert to raise awareness for Child Abuse Prevention and specifically, The Clay House.

Obviously as you can see that we are going to have a pretty busy Saturday but it is going to be a blast and I am so excited to be apart of this! I guess knowing that ALL the money that is donated is going to an organization that is 100% making a difference in children's lives and their families lives, makes me so passionate about this.

I would really like to invite everyone who reads this to come out! No excuses. Saturday is going to be a beautiful day and why not be outside enjoying it.

All you cool folks out there that have a sick motorcycle, come ride..
All you new moms out there, bring that baby and the stroller and walk...

Jade and I will be out there all day and we would absolutely love for our friends and families to come out. You, by no means, have to walk or ride but just come hang out and enjoy good fellowship and definitely good music.

Also, we have a TON of awesome door prizes that we will be giving away so if you come, you might leave a winner! ha. What could be better than that? Oh and a free photo session with Evan Photography just so happens to be one of the door prizes so if you were wanting to book something, here's your chance to potentially book a session for FREE! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment